*warning this post has bad language that may offend*
So today I did something very un-x-generation I deleted FaceBook and Twitter off my phone and I won’t be reinstalling the apps any time soon.
I just heard a collective GASP followed by “YOU DID WHAT???”
I seriously considered deleting my profiles completely but decided that maybe in a couple of months I’ll feel less shat off what I keep seeing on Social Media and want to reconnect with the world and I recreating an entire Social Profile is a pain in the ass.
Now that your over the shock that someone could voluntarily disconnect from the 24-7 cyber world of Social Media you are wondering what has prompted this radical decision. It wasn’t one event like finding a cyber troll hiding under a post or hackers or hecklers that prompted me to do this it was actually several things which I’ll go into below.
- TIME WASTED – do you have any idea how much time people waste on Social Media every day? According to statistics the average person is awake for about 15 hours and the average adult spends between 2 and 5 hours on Social Media. The scariest part is that those with Social Media Apps on their phone spend more time on Social Media than those that check it the old fashioned way on a computer. To drive this point home if you are awake for 15 hours and spend 5 on Social Media you just waisted 1/3 of your day.
- MISCOMMUNICATION – As an Information Management Specialist one of the things I constantly teach in staff re-training is to think before you hit send (or post) and if possibly get someone else to read it. WHY? Because how you think your rant, comment, post or tweet sounds is viewed from the point of the voice in your head saying it. How it is read by others is going to be totally different because they don’t have visual or verbal context so your funny tweet might come across as totally bitchy. This became very apparent to me recently when I read a post from a close friend, made a comment and then she commented back. I got really pissed off with her because from my point of view her response came across as seriously condescending and as if she was lecturing me like I was a complete moron. I have no idea if she intended the comment to sound like that but it still shat me off. I’m not sure which pissed me off more the way her comment sounded or the fact she did it on a FaceBook an arena any of her or my followers can read. Which brings me to the next topic
- COMMENT WARS – People seem to forget on Social Media that it is not just you and the person you’re commenting back/forth with reading what you’ve writen anyone who has access to either yours, theirs or the original posters page can read it. I’ve seen comments that if the person posting was actually looking at you face-to-face in a public space they would not be saying but they seem to think that because it’s social media only the person they in their head are directly addressing will be reading the Comment/Post/Tweet.
- WHO TO FOLLOW-ADVERTISING – I am sick to death of Social Media sites constantly and repeatedly trying to make me follow pages and people I don’t know or shoving advertising all over my profile that is totally fucking irrelevant to my life. I’m not interested in Vegan food, anything to do with kids, positive comments, mark zuckerberg, yoga, exercise or any other crap their profile generators think I should like because I’m Female, White and 42.
- ALL MEN ARE CUNTS – Seriously if I read one more frigging post about how horrible men are and that they are all misogynistic cunts who hate women I’m going to punch the person who posts it. I’m 42 and single with enough trust issues to fill an entire psychology textbook so constantly telling me all men are BAD is not helping my mental health or trust issues.
- THE POLLY-ANNA POSITIVES – Ok I get the point you have found your happy happy joy joy through the power of positive thinking and you want to tell the world. Guess what after the 5th post about it I really don’t give a shit so the constant “the world would be a better place if we all practiced positive thinking and it would cure all mental health issues” drives me crazy.
- ASYLUM SEEKERS/GOVERNMENT POLICY/RACISM/GUN CONTROL – Guess what people sitting on social media bitching about it is NEVER going to fix the problem. If you actually got out in the real world and door knocked your neighbourhood and persuaded people to not vote for the politician you hate because of their policy you would have done more good than reposting or ranting about it on Social Media.
- KIDS & MUMMY BLOGGERS – Don’t get me wrong I love OCCASIONALLY reading posts about peoples kids and reading the occasional mummy post/blog. However when the ONLY thing I ever see on your feed is about your kids or how to be the perfect mummy I start to wonder if you actually have a life. Try posting something none kid or mummy related. This comment has probably just shat off 90% of my friends who are all mummy’s but guess what one day you’re going to wake up and wonder why the friends you have are all part of the mummy set and what happened to the none mummy friends you were so close with. We got sick to death of the only topic of conversation being about your kids and feeling like our lives didn’t matter to you. Yes I get it you have kids and your life revolves around mile stones, day care, pre-school, school, after school activities, kids birthdays, kids being sick, school holidays and all manner of kid related stuff, which makes your life totally unbalanced. Harsh yes I know but try just occasionally to remember the friends you had before having kids.
To those who will read this an get insulted or upset about what I’ve said or the way I’ve said it I really don’t give a shit. It’s my opinion you don’t have to like what I’ve said but if you fit one of the above categories I suggest you take a long hard look at your life before you lose real world friends because of Social Media.